Every brewer will be very excited when they receive their brewery tanks and see the new brewery equipment in the new site, as they can not wait trying a brewing and try to know their friends well who will bring and produce amazing beers by brewers innovation and inspiration idea. But you can not just start brewing immediately, there are still a lots of work to do before brew beers.
Tanks Cleaning is a import process you have to do, as maybe there is something still existed in your tanks, such as dust, residual water and even rust on the surface or tank ports. You have to know how to clean them and ensure tanks are very clean and no harmful pollution of beers. Here we introduce some tips to clean the tanks and this is applied for brewery tank no big than 100bbl, for bigger tanks, it will be better handled by professional clean team stuffs.
Below cleaning tips we got from professional chemist and integrated with our years experience, to help clean the tanks well. In general, you need to get the cleaning tools ready, learn the instruction and procedures, then get the cleaning work finished.
A. Cleaning Object
Stainless steel tank, stainless steel pipe(hard pipe), hose(soft pipe)
B. Clean Tools/Material Preparation
Get the tools ready firstly so you can clean the tanks not waste a lot of time.
- Safety Gear
- Pump with cycle pipes(CIP skid if available)
- Clean Water
- Heat Source to Heat the Water
- Citric Acid
- Dilute Sodium Hydroxide
- Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
- Phoshated, Silicated, and Oxygenated Non-Caustic Alkaline Cleaner
- 75% Ethyl Alcohol
C. General requirements
- pipe flow rated≥5m/s
- Check the if there is litter in tank, pipe or false bottom, if does, remove those solids firstly
- Make sure the safety device does work, such as PVRV valves on the fermenters, also check gaskets, end caps, valves to make sure there is no leakage and electrics work well.
- Protective measure-Protect your skin and eyes from touching any acids or caustic, you can the clothes that can cover full of your skins, rubber gloves and shoes… If you touch those chemical accident, use clean water washing immediately and use soda water and vinegar to neutralize it or go to hospital if came with serious situation.
D. Cleaning Process
1) Stainless Steel Tanks and pipe line cleaning
Below sheet offer the cleaning procedures of tanks and pipeline, the first part is to remove machine oil, road grim and dust, and the second parts is the ways to do a coversion coating in your site if need, finally is the hose, valves and fittings cleaning. As there are many different recipes to clean the tanks, you can remove or add the new process according real situation.